Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thoughts On Teaching Tarot Classes, by Wicce!

I recently, as in last week, began to teach my ten-week tarot course at the new age bookshop that I manage here in Scranton, PA.  First of all, I really enjoy teaching.  I have to say that it comes naturally to me, possibly as the result of coming from many generations of schoolteachers in my family on my mother's side.  Or perhaps due to majoring in theater/communications in college..... at any rate, possibly the number one problem I have encountered over the years is this:

Every time I teach a tarot class, the number of people who can take it at the time offered is so many less than the number of people who are free to take it at that time!  I have changed up the time each time I offer it.  Monday nights, Sunday afternoons, now Thursday evenings.... I have compressed the entire ten week course into one full length weekend seminar..... but then it becomes cost prohibitive for people.

The cost for my class is a measly $10 per week or $80 if you pay in advance for the entire course.  Considering the years of work that has gone into this course and what you get in return, I think this is definitely a good price for the work. 

In addition to not being able to solve the time problem, I will be relocating to the Southwest on Sept 1st.  So I won't be available locally any longer.  I have already been trying to come up with ways to continue to offer what I already offer for my clients here, on a long-distance basis, and can do the readings online or on the phone, etc.  I am thinking about further breaking down my tarot course, and elaborating on it much more heavily, and offering it as a Kindle e-book for 99 cents per card.  That would make the entire course $78 instead of $80 or $100..... I would throw in the e-books for all the additional materials like spreads and stuff for free if you bought the whole course.....

This way one would actually end up with MORE material per card than ever before; the student could carry the materials with them on their phone (Kindle app is free on most smartphones) or on their PC or Kindle device..... one could buy individual lessons for cards that are "problematic" or "sticky" and if one wanted the whole course, it would still be really easy to find each individual lesson due to the way they would be titled and organized in the Kindle library on-board.

What do you think?  Would you pay 99 cents for an e-book on each card?  (with rewards for buying the whole set)  this would also allow people to purchase as they could afford, and work through the course at their own pace....


Yours in tarot,

Gina M. Pace (aka Wicce), creator of the Pagan Tarot, published by LoScarabeo, and former webmistress of Wicce's Tarot Collection, one of the internet's largest former tarot review websites

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a GREAT idea, Gina! I may have to steal it! LOL ;o) Seriously, card-by-card...what a great idea. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, this is an awesome (and novel) idea! I wish I lived closer; I'd take your class in a heartbeat. :-) I love the idea of freebie rewards for buying the whole series--this could be the edge that encourages people who might otherwise buy "problematic" cards to go for the whole 78. Excellent concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so dumb. All this time I didn't realize you were "Wicce" sheesh. Yay! Where in the SW? I want to take it! AND I think $80 is a bargain!! I would also pay the .99 per card on the Kindle, but I'd much rather do the class f2f!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so buy this in a second. I have so many traditional books on tarot and a few on kindle and I have yet to find something that works well as a learning tool, isn't' overwhelming, and with kindle, takes advantage of some of the things kindle can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you coming to Arizona Gina? I sure hope so. Yes. I would buy your whole course.

    ReplyDelete